Saturday, April 4, 2015

Easter lilies and cats don’t mix

By Kate Ryan
WASHINGTON — You love Easter lilies and you love your cat.
Dr. Matthew Antkowiak of Atlas Vet, D.C. has some advice for you.

Lose the lilies. Or you could end up losing your cat.

Easter lilies, and most of the plants in the lily family, are toxic to cats and cause kidney failure. Symptoms that your cat may be getting sick from ingesting any part of a lily include vomiting and lethargy.

Antkowiak says if you suspect your cat has ingested any part of a lily, or even lapped up some of the water from the vase the plant is in, get it to the vet’s office. “Do not pass go, do not collect $200 dollars. You go right to your vet, preferably a 24-hour vet because they are likely going to need to keep that cat on IV fluids for a minimum of 24 hours.”

Antkowiak says when he started in the veterinary field, he found a lot of cat owners didn’t know that lilies could be lethal, so now, when he first sees a client who has a cat as a pet, he makes sure to mention the dangers that lilies can pose.

For a guide to what plants are toxic, and those that area safe for your pet whether it’s canine or feline, check the ASPCA’s site.


No comments: