Thursday, December 31, 2015

The photogenic cats of Turkey

Cat-lover Christopher Muther seeks out new feline friends with his camera
Christopher Muther/Globe Staff
If I had a dime for every time I’ve watched a cat video online, I’d have enough dimes to buy a nicer computer to watch even more cat videos. I am not ashamed to admit that I’m what’s commonly known as a feline fanatic. On a trip to Turkey in September, I was living a cat lover’s dream. There were cats lollygagging everywhere. They slept in warm, sunny plazas. They walked around the streets and they strolled tourist attractions as if they owned them. The wonderful thing about cats in Turkey is that they are well cared for. Residents provide food, water, and shelter for their beloved cats.

On one of my first days outside Istanbul I spotted an empty chair that rapidly filled with cats. One, two, three sets of tails. Soon, there were five cats jostling for real estate on the chair. My camera nearly exploded from all that cuteness. Of the dozens of pictures I took, this was my favorite.


Christopher Muther/Globe Staff

After I had lunch in the beach town of Kas, on the southwestern point of the country, it seemed like everyone was ready for a nap, including this fellow.

Christopher Muther/Globe Staff


Once you step away from the commercial centers in Istanbul, you find silent streets, and I found many cats hanging out, including this sweet kitten.

Christopher Muther/Globe Staff


This cat parked himself on a comfy looking bench in Alcati. He’s not as vicious as he looks. I caught him mid-meow.

Christopher Muther/Globe Staff

I think a lot of cats in Turkey probably get sick of tourists bothering them (yes, I’m talking about myself), so they hang out in windows.

Christopher Muther/Globe Staff


When traveling, it’s always important to spend time getting to know the locals. Here I am in the ancient Roman city of Ephesus chatting up one of the residents — although I’ll admit it was a one-sided conversation.

Christopher Muther/Globe Staff


It may look like feline incarceration, but this cat in Bodrum happily watched the world from behind bars.

 03muther Credit: Christopher Muther, Globe Staff Alcati cat: A cat in Alacati, Turkey, makes a bed out of a potted dead plant.
Christopher Muther/Globe Staff

I felt as if this attention-loving cat was hoping to appear on “Turkey’s Next Top Model: Feline Edition” (will someone please produce a cat modeling show?) because she sat in this planter and posed for me. Well Naomi Catbell, your wish has been granted. You’re now a published model.

Christopher Muther can be reached at muther@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @Chris_Mutherand on Instagram @Chris_Muther.

source 

No comments: