Saturday, June 20, 2015

Meet the woman who has 122 cats - and yes, she does have a husband

'People always ask if I have a husband... luckily for him he works long hours so misses all the hard work of 6.30am starts, feeding, changing £30 of cat litter and cleaning from top to bottom every day'

Paul Webb Silvana Valentino-Locke
And they call it pussy love: Silvana Valentino-Locke
Heard the one about the woman who has 122 cats?
MIAAAAOW MANY??!!
It’s certainly moggy mayhem at Silvana Valentino Locke’s home. She has 52 lucky enough to have the run of her four-bedroom house while 40 live at the bottom of her garden with another 30 in a neighbouring field. But although hers may be a cats’ tale of obsession, it’s not one of squalor.
She forks out £90,000 a year to have her pets fed, watered and their every need attended to by four live-in staff at her home and rescue centre.
But she’s not the ­traditional cat-loving spinster – she’s a 55-year-old mum of two with a husband of 32 years.

Paul Webb Silvana Valentino-Locke
Moggy admirer: Silvana Valentino-Locke of Downe Kent with some of the 55 cats in her home
Hubby Tony bravely puts up with her ­compulsion and provides nearly half the cash she needs to support her feline family from the courier firm he runs.
The rest comes from donations, ­fundraising drives and the charity shop she set up four years ago.

Cat stats

£4,500
Monthly vet bill including neutering
£500
Weekly cat food bill
£2,000
Monthly spend on cat nannies
£30
Cat litters per day
£90,000
Yearly total
“It’s an addiction,” she confesses above the drone of purring. “It’s like I have OCD about cats. I feel like it’s my job to look after them all. Every time I get a phone call about an abandoned cat, I can’t say ‘no’.
“My car number plate has ‘mad cat woman’ printed on it. You have to be mad to do what I’m doing. What with feeding and vet bills, I’m chasing my tail all the time.” She says her passion for rescuing ­abandoned pussies galore started on a childhood holiday in Italy.

Paul Webb Silvana Valentino-Locke
“There were always kittens in my ­grandma’s garden,” says Silvana. “I was 11 when I rescued my first cat. A pregnant cat came to the house and I took her in and cared for her. I’ve been mad on cats ever since. When my own children were born I was working with special needs children. But even then I would rescue cats and support my hobby from my wages.
“Now every man who comes to adopt a cat always asks, ‘have you got a husband?’ They can’t believe anyone would tolerate all these cats. Luckily Tony works long hours so he doesn’t see all the work of caring for them.
“He sees the results of what we do and it’s a reward for him as well.”
Over the past 12 years Silvana has rescued 600 cats and has rehomed 7,000. While she says she has always looked after at least six or seven pet cats at any one time, it was only after moving to Downe, Greater London, 20 years ago that she started rescuing them properly.

Silvana Valentino-Locke
Cool for cats
“I decided to turn my shed into a foster home for cats,” she says. “They were so ill when they arrived, I worked hard to get them well. But I grew too fond of them and ended up keeping them.”
Soft-hearted Silvana admits her obsession has taken over her life. Its £90,000-a-year cost is an estimate and doesn’t include electricity and petrol costs. She also spends £4,500 a month on vet bills.
She has all her rescue cats neutered and spayed while feeding them costs £500 a week. She says: “A lot of the expense is absorbed into the household costs.”

Channel 5 Silvana Valentino-Locke
Happy families
Silvana says she needs two live-in staff – cat nannies as she calls them – to help her care for her own pets in the house.
She pays them £250 a week plus food and board. All 52 of Silvana’s house cats are fed three times a day and their 12 litter trays are changed daily at £30 a time. The rescue centre cats get through two 28lb bags of cat litter a day. Moggies fill every corner of the house. Dinner time is chaos as the animals clamber over Silvana and her family. And she confesses each night she and Tony sleep with as many as eight in their bed.
“They all have their own position,” says Silvana. “There are a couple that want to get so close to you. One lies on my neck. In winter it’s lovely, but it’s a bit hot now.

Channel 5 Silvana Valentino-Locke
“Another one wants to do my hair. I call him the hairdresser.”
But far from resembling some wee-sodden cat hell, Silvana’s home is a peaceful paradise – thanks in large part to the twice-daily full house cleans and incense that Silvana burns in the living room. “Tony likes a clean house and I respect that,” she says. “He has to sleep with all these cats. But he adores them.”
A typical day for Silvana starts at 6.30am when she plays with the cats before feeding the house mogs. At 8am her staff turn up to care for the others.

Paul Webb Silvana Valentino-Locke
Silvana Valentino-Locke's cat Victor
Meanwhile in her house Silvana and her “cat nanny” change all the litter trays and clean. “It takes about an hour and a half. We hoover and mop every bit of floor and furniture,” says Silvana. “It’s a long, exhausting job. All the time the phone is going with people with cats that need to be rescued.”
All 52 of Silvana’s house cats are rescue and each has a sad story – from five-year-old Squiggly born with his umbilical cord round a back leg that had to be amputated, to six-year-old Victor found in a squalid house living under ­floorboards as a kitten.
He was covered in ticks, fleas had eaten his fur and his stomach was full of worms. Today, thanks to Silvana, he is a handsome, healthy long-haired cat. Such care takes all of Silvana’s time but she says Tony has endless patience.

Paul Webb Silvana Valentino-Locke
Squiggly who only has three legs
“The only time he came close to being annoyed was when we bought our holiday home in Italy.
“It was supposed to be a break from cats but now I’ve got lots there too.”
Tony knows it’s impossible to limit Silvana’s obsession. “I try not to think too much about cats being everywhere,” he says. “What I love is that Silvana is very passionate about what she does. Now and then I throw my toys out of the pram. But when you see the results of saving a cat and how she turns it round, you let the other stuff go.” Silvana’s two sons Daniel, 30 and Tony Jnr, 27, are used to their mum’s ways and admire her.
“When they were teenagers I think it might have been tough for them,” she says. “You can’t have a sandwich without the cats trying to get involved. Luckily all their friends thought it was great.”
But the boys do want her to slow down. “They think I work too hard,” she says. “I’ve also been hospitalised four times after getting blood poisoning from bites and scratches.
“But I do it for love. This is my life’s work and I feel very lucky to have a family who support what I do.
  •  90 Cats & Counting: Cat Crazies is on Channel 5 at 8pm on Wednesday, July 1.
source

No comments: