Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Lynne’s close shave to help big cats in the UK



Lynne Gorrie (centre), after her sponsored head shave, with hairdresser Katie Mayor (left) Blackpool Zoo s Natalie Garrett. Below: Lynne before her head was shaved.
Lynne Gorrie (centre), after her sponsored head shave, with hairdresser Katie Mayor (left) Blackpool Zoo s Natalie Garrett. Below: Lynne before her head was shaved.
by Emma Harris
It’s been a real hair-raising experience for Blackpool Zoo super fan Lynne Gorrie.For the 57-year-old spent Halloween doing something really scary – she had all her hair shaved off.

Blackpool Zoo member Lynne, who has limited use in the right side of her body after suffering a brain haemorrhage 30 years ago, decided to undergo the drastic step to raise money for charity 21st Century Tiger. The money will be used to help her favourite animals, especially the critically endangered Amur tigers like Blackpool Zoo’s Zambar and Alyona. The Zoo’s tigers are Lynne’s favourite animals and she has taken thousands of pictures of them.

Katie Mayor, a stylist at Jo and Cass Hair and Beauty Salon, in Preston, volunteered to shave Lynne’s head after hearing about her years of fundraising for the charity – which has seen her raise thousands of pounds.

Lynne’s shoulder-length hair was lopped off and finished neatly with the razor, outside the Big Cat House at Blackpool Zoo. She said:

“It was great, it only took about 10 minutes. “I do look a bit like Uncle Fester from the Addams family, which was quite apt for Halloween.It’s OK at the moment, I think as things get colder, it might feel a bit chilly, but I have just bought a couple of new hats to wear. My hair will grow back, but once tigers are gone, they will be gone forever. That would be terrible. There are such magnificent creatures, I felt I must do something. Tigers in the wild go through much worse than I did having my head shaved.Even though I might feel the chill a little more now, it is certainly worth it. It will save me money on shampoo and save time getting ready in a morning too! I have dedicated years to fundraising for tigers and will continue for as long as I can.”

She added: “Tigers are majestic creatures and I fell in love with Zambar when he arrived in 2010. Since then I have taken thousands of pictures of him and I was very excited when he was joined by a new mate, Alyona, last year. “My hair will grow back, but when tigers are gone, they are gone forever, which will be terrible.”

Katie Mayor, a stylist at the Jo and Cass Beauty Salon, said: “She is very brave, especially having such an extreme hairstyle at this time of year! I am sure the tiger hat the staff at the Zoo bought for her will keep her warm though.”

Jude Rothwell, marketing and PR co-ordinator at Blackpool Zoo, said: “Lynne has raised thousands through numerous eventsin the past four years and her work for tigers is tireless. “She is such good fun and we were not surprised at all when she asked if she would be able to get her head shaved at the zoo to generate even more money.”

To support Lynne’s efforts, visit www.justgiving.com/jude-rothwell.

source

No comments: